Monday, March 14, 2011

collecting

With a new one picked up yesterday, I thought I would share my 'cigar box collection' with you.




As I am often out and about looking for pieces for my shop, I have the opportunity to keep a lookout for additions to my collection. I have been collecting cigar boxes for many years and over these years have become more fussy about what I collect.


A few years ago we sourced cigar boxes for a client to use as props. I did at this stage part with some of my collection - but only the newer boxes and from this time made a decision to only collect for myself old ones, although some of the newer ones are quite fabulous too.

I particularly love the very old boxes made out of plywood. Many come with the most beautiful artwork which is sometimes found on the inside of the boxes.










This one (La Insular) I came across yesterday at the Camberwell market. The artwork is quite bright on the inside of the box and its quite a lovely piece to add to my collection.









This one (Libelle) is probably one of the oldest boxes I have. It is quite fragile but has a lovely sense of age to it and looks as though it has a story to tell!







Finally my favourite (Muriel Babies) has the most beautiful muted artwork both on the outside and also on the inside of it. This I have had for a few years now and I can't imagine finding one more beautiful.








Collecting is quite a simple and rewarding thing for me to do. I often look at my collection and think how beautiful it is. It's the simple things!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sue they're GORGEOUS....!!!!

    I only have a couple but after seeing how YUMMY yours look stacked up like this I'll have to concentrate a little harder when I'm out & about.... :o) !!

    Speaking of which....Just 5 x sleeps to go....WOOHOO....!

    Cheers for now,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are awesome! you really have a bunch!

    ReplyDelete